If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

My utter lack of self control

Yesterday my friend Alex brought me a couple of new game CDs, Star Wars: Jedi Outcast and Star Wars: Jedi Academy. I installed them and started playing them after I watched the Wes Anderson film, Rushmore. Anyone not familiar with Wes Anderson is missing out on life, movie wise. He has directed some of the most amazing and fascinating movies ever, and the great thing about him is that he keeps using the same actors, Bill Murray, and Owen and Luke Wilson just to name a few. A list of some of his films include:

The funniest thing about Rushmore was when the main character, Max, is making fun of a character played by Luke Wilson who was dressed in hospital gear:
 MAX I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

JOHN These are OR scrubs.

MAX (pause) OR they?
But I digress, this post was supposed to be about my utter lack of self control. . .

So after the movie I went out to the kitchen and started playing Jedi Academy. The time was 11:10. Five hours later, it was 4:10. I was just past the first levels of training and had become a Jedi Apprentice. The game is awesome, allowing you to create a custom character, pick your light saber type and color, and selectively enhance your force powers as you advance. The two powers that I chose to enhance most often were Heal and Force Protect. Against my better judgement, I also chose to enhance Force Grip, which is similiar to the power that Darth Vader used to chose people at a distance in the movies. While I am actually against using Dark Side powers when playing as a good guy, there is nothing quite so satisfying as encountering a weapon wielding enemy on a bridge or near a cravass, and simply lifting them up and dropping them off the edge, Also you can use it to pick up storm troopers and bash them against walls. So the game rocks, but it is highly addictive. Best to play it on a Friday night, I guess.

1 comments:

Kurt Schroeder 8/01/2005 08:37:00 AM  

I got to the end of the game but I couldn't kill the end guy. I tried for an hour, but I think I made a mistake in only choosing to enhance my good Jedi skills, as Force Lightning would have helped a great deal. Also I never learned any advanced Light Saber moves. This is one of the few games I never finished, and I don't really care.

I'm going to play Grand Theft Auto: Vice City again, but this time just for kicks I will try to not kill any pedestrians, or hijack any cars, or get into any accidents. I think that by driving in a sane manner and trying not to break any laws unnecessarily, I can beat the game quicker because the cops will not always be on my tail. Also, driving around like a hoodlum makes you have to keep getting new cars anyway. We shall see.