If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

An idle Wednesday evening. . .

with my thoughts. Sandy's is out and so the cat will play, or blog, in my case. Remember back in 1997, when the Heaven's Gate cult people commited suicide? Well I was just reflecting on that remembrance and thinking, too, about the Green Bay Packers. See, this year, they are 0-2. But the 1997 season was completely different. Favre was tearing up defences left and right, and Antonio Freeman was catching everything but a cold. These days, it's a little different.

Though I never played professional football, I did play flag football. I sucked at it, but I remember one thing that the coach always talked about: Sacrifice. I never understood that, but on today, I think I understand. See, in order to win, there must be a sacrifice. But not of the team hoping to win, but of others. Fans must sacrifice the warmth of their homes to come out and cheer on the Green and Gold. Wives must sacrifice their marriages a little while their drunken husbands spend all the diaper money at the sports bar. And children must sacrifice quality time with their parents so that they can go out and whoop it up and talk about how the glory years are coming back. At least that's how we did it in Green Bay. But in California, they did it a little diffferent. In 1997, they really did sacrifice themselves. They took one for the team. The football team that is.

Doubt me? Do not believe in my complete candor? I shall provide all the proof you need.

The lambs that made up the Heaven's Gate cult were supposedly IT professionals who worked by the light of their monitors during the day and prayed to the light of the Hale-Bopp comet at night. At some point, Marshall Applewhite asked someone to design a website and accompanying logo. The logo that they came up with can only be described as a monument to the Green Bay Packers, and the legend of Lambeau and Lombardi. Here it is, in all its glory:




As you can see, it is merely a copy of the Green Bay Packer logo superimposed on top of the Vince Lombardi trophy. Personally, I would have gone with a little more Green and Gold and maybe put a little football where the apostrophe is, and the logo forms the words "HE ATE" in a semi-obvious way, but other than that, they did a pretty damn good job. Let's face it, until Green Bay gets the same kind of sacrifice from their defensive line as we got from these nutty Californians, and Farve gets his head out of his ass, I think we are looking at a losing season. Other than that, everything is just fine this Wednesday evening, and the Packers are my #1 pick to win this coming weekend.

Now I gotta go and watch the rest of the fiirst season of LOST with Sandy. Tonight the rest of the world will find out what's in the hatch, but Sandy and I are taping the show until we get caught up watching last season on DVD. Now that's another sacrifice right there, no?

0 comments: