If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Mom, it's time for Linux.

Dear Mom,

I've been a bad son. A few years ago when you decided you need a new computer, I managed to find a computer (sold by Wal-Mart) that was inexpensive and came without an operating system. I installed Windows 2000 on it, and set it up for you. It seemed to work great. So great in fact, that when I came to visit you in Minneapolis, I installed Half Life on it and would play when Sandy and I visited you. That was about the last meaningful thing that I did to that computer, besides coming over very occassionally to install Windows Service Packs.

Since then, due to my uncaring attitude toward computers in general (I don't even have a firewall on my OWN home computer), your computer has become infected with the viruses, spyware, and Yahoo! toolbars. This is my fault. While you are without a doubt the finest librarian that I have even known, you don't know how to install Firewalls or hunt down Spyware (or even prevent it). That's OK. I don't understand the Dewey Decimal system. Well, actually fine, I do. But I do always get confused on the difference between Comprehensive and Interdisciplinary numbers. But I'm sure that you can explain it to me some time.

Anyway, I went over to your place last night, and tried to fix it. I uninstalled programs that looked like Spyware and tried to get a better Internet connection going. After spending a few hours trying to fix up various areas of damage, I could get connected to the Internet but couldn't browse. I installed a free version of the Zone Alarm firewall and that may have screwed it up, I'm not sure.

The thing is, you and Sandy have a lot in common, computer-wise. You like to browse the web (visiting just a few sites that you like specifically) and check e-mail. You play the occassional game of Solitare. You type Christams letters like I do on my computer, and you print stuff. That's about it. You rely on your computer to do simple things effectively, and it does not perform for you.

So here's what I suggest. I suggest that we install Linux. I think it would be the best for what you use your computer for. It allows you to run in a basic user mode, instead of an Administrator mode like Windows, so you can't install malicious software on your own computer without really wanting to. Viruses are not a problem in Linux. INstalling patches and upgrading software in Linux is painless and requires almost no intervention from you. Plus, your computer comes with a Linux compatible modem, so dialing up to PeoplePC should be no problem. Linux also has easy to use firewall programs, so people will not be able to harm your system while you are online. If something went wrong, I could just connect to your system and fix it from work or at home, even late at night when it would not be convenient for you to have me over. We can setup Linux so it looks and acts just like the Windows you are used to, or you could get used to Linux. Once you get to know how it works, I don't think you'll go back to Windows again. There are some Windows software packages that you own, and we can make those work under Linux, or even setup a Dual Boot system so that when the computer boots you can select to work in Windows or Linux. I promise your Linux computer will be easy to use.

But above all, I want to have a more intimate relationship with your computer, and I promise to take care of it like a good son should.

Love,

Kurt

0 comments: