If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Mike went Fishing

And I got an e-mail with the word purported in it.




This picture was originally captioned that is was courtesy of a Duluth newspaper. Then I received the following e-mail:

Hello Kurt and Sandy,
I noticed that you are using what is purported to be a (Name of Newspaper) photo on your website today June 12. It features an altered image of someone in boat with a shark in the background. To my knowledge, this is not a (Name of Newspaper) image. If it is, then it has been altered in Photoshop. I ask that either way you remove it immediately. You have not received permission to publish images from the (Name of Newspaper) on your website. Thank you :-)


Normally I wouldn't trust that this came from the actual person, because it is very easy to make an e-mail look like it is coming from somewhere it is not. However, I looked closely at the headers in the e-mail and found:

Received: from krcdc01.knight-ridder.com (krcdc01 [10.229.66.198])
by mail.knight-ridder.com (8.13.6/8.13.6) with SMTP id k5CMZKWf004367

So I know that it actually did come from that person.

So here goes my apology/clarification:

What I wrote was not true. I Photoshopped the poop out of that picture and wrongly attributed it to a Duluth Newspaper. Shame shame, everyone knows my name. They even know Sandy's name apparently. Sad to say, there are no great white sharks in any Minnesota Lakes. You heard it here first people.

And another thing, if the newspaper editor DOES read this blog, or happened upon it, I would like him to know that Sandy used to work at his newspaper, and she is constantly comparing the Rochester Post Bulletin to it. The Post Bulletin sucks, spell-check wise. We also love how they have great headlines, too. Our favorite one was from April 26, 2002. Coon gets taste of pro game was the headline that appeared on the front of the sports page that day. The headline wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't been on a page with pictures of black basketball players. Just terrible. They could have maybe said "Martin Coon dribbles his balls around Pollacks" and it would have been more appropriate.

Anyway.

My apologies to the newspaper editor in question. Sandy said that he is "a kitten" so he must be a great guy. I would love to know how he found this blog, and if he reads it regularly. If he wants it, I would offer him a guest post here to discuss anything he wishes, including, but not limited to:

  • Traditional print media vs blogging.
  • His thoughts on Photo Editing software. Photoshop vs Gimp, etc...
  • Any Digital Camera vs the Pentax K1000
  • Christmas Letters and if he reads them.
  • The use of Segways by Police in Duluth.
  • Great White Sharks vs. Zebra Mussels - which tastes better?

Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

Karen 6/13/2006 12:13:00 PM  

As a Great Lakes native, myself, I am going out on a limb to say that zebra mussels taste better.

Heather 6/13/2006 02:10:00 PM  

I heard about your run-in with the newspaper police. As a Mass Communications grad who labored over (and still owns) her Mass Comm Law book, I'm pretty sure that you did nothing wrong. I think that falls into the category of (although the technical language alludes me at this point)something so preposterous that no one would really think that it is real. And I think that sort of thing is covered under the first ammendment. But, it has been a few years since I was in school, so I could be mistaken.

Either way, I think it's hilarious. Who knew that your blog was so controversial? And that newspaper editors have time to read blogs.

As for which tastes better...I think I'll pass on both.

Kurt Schroeder 6/14/2006 08:14:00 AM  

I received a response on my correction from the newspaper editor in question:

"Hi Kurt, Thanks alot for removing it and the photogs and I enjoyed your commentary.
Best wishes."

He sounds like a great guy. I'd still like to know how he found my blog. I'm not sure what a "photog" is. I thought it meant photographer.

Sandy 6/14/2006 09:30:00 AM  

Photog = Photographs

I know...I'm amazing. It's my background in the newspaper business!