If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

An honest look at myself. . .

I can be a very negative person.


Ever since we returned from our trip to Wisconsin I have searched through camera reviews for a good digital cemara. I decided on the Canon Powershot A540. I told Sandy that was the one, she said no problem. Now I just had to find a good deal. Online they were all about $250 with shipping. Some more some less. The reviews were excellent. But the A530 was a better deal. The main difference seemed to be that one was 6 megapixels and another was 5. Most online photo reviewers have agreed that for people not printing big enlargements, there is very little difference. So I was fine with that. We ended up buying the camera at Sears and it will cost us, when we are done, about $180. We got $100 back from our Visa Rewards card, so basically, we got a digital camera for $80. Economic purists would disagree with my math. Nevertheless - we got a good deal on a nice camera.



So here's the thing. I'm in a funk because I read some bad reviews on the camera we got. Some people bitched about the terrible quality of images at ISO 400 and higher. Like I would ever use that. Other people said that the A540 was a better camera. Even though in a side by side comparison--they had both had basically identical specifications. I'm upset because I read what other people said and I didn't agree with it, or want to hear it.

I always do this.

I look into something and decide what I want, and then find negative things about it later, and get pissed off, even though I would have been just fine if I hadn't have read something. And that's what I'm really upset about--my lack of self confidence in my own decisions.

I have tested out the camera, and I think it's fine. Some of the pictures it took were a little grainy, but the light upstairs wasn't that good, and maybe I had moved. Who knows. I took some shots outside that were fine. I took some shots inside that are great. And to top it all off, I never wanted a digital camera in the first place. I have been ripping on digital cameras for years. I own a real camera--a 35MM Canon EOS Rebel G that takes excellent pictures, has full manual controls, as well as full auto mode. It takes kick ass pictures. I also have a Pentax K1000 (albeit with a broken light meter) with the good metal body that is looked at by many photographic purists as the best camera that a person interested in learning how to take good pictures can own. It's a classic. And I own it. And it takes great pictures. (You don't really need a light meter anyway, you pansy.)

Somewhere, there is a little boy with no camera at all. And somewhere else, a little boy with a crappy camera takes excellent pictures and is proud of himself. So I'm just gonna shut my damn mouth and be happy for once.

Say cheese.

4 comments:

Sandy 7/17/2006 08:57:00 AM  

Although he is known for his trademark saying "This is terrible!" he actually is quite a positive person.

No one except Kurt can make me laugh when I am being negative...I love him very much!

Kurt Schroeder 7/17/2006 09:03:00 AM  

Sandy is a pretty wonderful person for putting up with my negativity. I complain a lot.

Karen 7/17/2006 04:09:00 PM  

You have no idea how much I am remided of my own small Dirky right now.

Heather 7/17/2006 11:31:00 PM  

Awwww....you guys are so sweet.

I think Craig is an eternal pessimist...but he doesn't see it.

Maybe this is a male characteristic? Or is that too much stereotyping?

Hey, thanks for reading my Mom blog...it's interesting to get a male perspective on my rants.

Next party, I'm totally getting some cake.