If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore. This may change at any time. But PLEASE feel free to look through our Flickr stream (over on the right), which is updated almost every day.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

An honest look at myself. . .

I can be a very negative person.


Ever since we returned from our trip to Wisconsin I have searched through camera reviews for a good digital cemara. I decided on the Canon Powershot A540. I told Sandy that was the one, she said no problem. Now I just had to find a good deal. Online they were all about $250 with shipping. Some more some less. The reviews were excellent. But the A530 was a better deal. The main difference seemed to be that one was 6 megapixels and another was 5. Most online photo reviewers have agreed that for people not printing big enlargements, there is very little difference. So I was fine with that. We ended up buying the camera at Sears and it will cost us, when we are done, about $180. We got $100 back from our Visa Rewards card, so basically, we got a digital camera for $80. Economic purists would disagree with my math. Nevertheless - we got a good deal on a nice camera.



So here's the thing. I'm in a funk because I read some bad reviews on the camera we got. Some people bitched about the terrible quality of images at ISO 400 and higher. Like I would ever use that. Other people said that the A540 was a better camera. Even though in a side by side comparison--they had both had basically identical specifications. I'm upset because I read what other people said and I didn't agree with it, or want to hear it.

I always do this.

I look into something and decide what I want, and then find negative things about it later, and get pissed off, even though I would have been just fine if I hadn't have read something. And that's what I'm really upset about--my lack of self confidence in my own decisions.

I have tested out the camera, and I think it's fine. Some of the pictures it took were a little grainy, but the light upstairs wasn't that good, and maybe I had moved. Who knows. I took some shots outside that were fine. I took some shots inside that are great. And to top it all off, I never wanted a digital camera in the first place. I have been ripping on digital cameras for years. I own a real camera--a 35MM Canon EOS Rebel G that takes excellent pictures, has full manual controls, as well as full auto mode. It takes kick ass pictures. I also have a Pentax K1000 (albeit with a broken light meter) with the good metal body that is looked at by many photographic purists as the best camera that a person interested in learning how to take good pictures can own. It's a classic. And I own it. And it takes great pictures. (You don't really need a light meter anyway, you pansy.)

Somewhere, there is a little boy with no camera at all. And somewhere else, a little boy with a crappy camera takes excellent pictures and is proud of himself. So I'm just gonna shut my damn mouth and be happy for once.

Say cheese.

4 comments:

Sandy 7/17/2006 08:57:00 AM  

Although he is known for his trademark saying "This is terrible!" he actually is quite a positive person.

No one except Kurt can make me laugh when I am being negative...I love him very much!

Kurt Schroeder 7/17/2006 09:03:00 AM  

Sandy is a pretty wonderful person for putting up with my negativity. I complain a lot.

Karen 7/17/2006 04:09:00 PM  

You have no idea how much I am remided of my own small Dirky right now.

Heather 7/17/2006 11:31:00 PM  

Awwww....you guys are so sweet.

I think Craig is an eternal pessimist...but he doesn't see it.

Maybe this is a male characteristic? Or is that too much stereotyping?

Hey, thanks for reading my Mom blog...it's interesting to get a male perspective on my rants.

Next party, I'm totally getting some cake.