If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Friday, August 18, 2006

crap

I think I may have seriously injured someone.

Normally around county fair time, there are one or two nights when motorcycles will race up and down our street. Usually it's very late at night, but it still pisses me off. Last year I thought that I would maybe setup a lawn sprinkler and hide in the bushes and turn it on when they came by, but the other day I realized that was a waste of time. Instead, I just decided it would make more sense break off large pieces of paving stone and strew a few of them in the middle of the street to look like they were dropped off a truck or something. My thinking was that cars driving slowly would miss them and motorcycles driving slowly would miss them too. So tonight, after I put Annika to bed and went out to finish mowing the lawn, I snuck out and put some in the street.

I was mowing the back half of my lawn when I heard the sudden accelleration and then the tires. I didn't know what to do. For whatever reason, I instantly froze and fell to the ground next to the mower, just listening and waiting. . . I heard someone ask someone "What the f**k happened" and then I heard the blocks being kicked around. At least that's what I thought it was. After a minute or so, it seemed much longer but it couldn't have been, two motorcycles started up and drove off. I waited a few minutes before putting the lawnmower away and heading to the front lawn to pretend to pick up yard waste.

The blocks were sitting under the communal mailbox. There were not burnout marks or whatever but I could tell that someone had tried to stop or avoid them, because there were these kind of wobbly tracks extending for about 30 feet in front of my house. It looked like the bike had fell over because there were some pieces of broken plastic or something in the street. They were yellow and blue. I honestly don't know what happpened, and I don't know what to do.

I thought I would feel good about stopping people from speeding, but all I feel is extreme guilt and shame. I haven't touched the blocks or picked up the pieces of whatever it was that broke off the bike when it fell over.

This was originally pre-dated April 1, 2007. It was a fake to see how many people responded.

3 comments:

Heather 8/17/2006 11:38:00 PM  

I had to think on this a bit before commenting.

My take on it...

The person is fine. They would not have ridden off on their bike if they weren't. You're right, the potential was there that someone could have been seriously injured, but I doubt that person was.

We all do things we regret. Things we wouldn't have done if we'd considered the consequences more seriously.

Your intentions were not to hurt someone, but to protect your family. That's just a primal instinct that parents have.

We all make mistakes.

So that's my two cents. In case you wondered.

Heather 8/20/2006 02:02:00 PM  

Hmmm. I will think twice before commenting in the future I guess.

Sandy 8/20/2006 08:17:00 PM  

yeah, Kurt, you stink!