If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore. This may change at any time. But PLEASE feel free to look through our Flickr stream (over on the right), which is updated almost every day.

Friday, January 26, 2007

The Signature Contest

Every time I send an e-mail at work, I have a little signature line at the bottom. It reads:


Kurt Schroeder -- kschroe@us.ibm.com -- IBM Rochester Supportline Print
Voice: 507-286-6177 (T/L 456); FAX: 507-253-2982
"Elegance is not a dispensable luxury but a quality that decides between
success and failure." - Dijkstra

I change it every so often. I manipulate the formatting, or change the quote. A while back I used periods instead of dashes because I thought it looked more European. Over the years I have had LOTS of e-mail signatures. In college they were called "dot-sig" files because you could edit a files in your Unix account called .sig and it would be appended to all the e-mails you send out. Here is the .sig file I had in college when I was into ASCII Art:

************************************************
o__ o__ University of Minnesota--Duluth |._o
.>/ _.>/ _ kschroe3@ub.d.umn.edu | |>
) \(_))\(_) | 4
********************************************************
I have gone through a lot of quotations at IBM. I typically change it a couple times a year. Some of the more memorable ones have been:
  • Linux: Faster, Better, Cheaper. Pick Three.
  • There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary numbers, and those who do not.
  • "I lead the league in 'Go get em next time.'" -- Bob Uecker
  • "We didn't lose the game, we ran out of time." - Vince Lombardi
I am offering up my e-mail signature for you to modify. Send me your suggestions. This might not be as exciting as a banner design contest, but it is something that many people see each day, and perhaps you have a good idea I haven't thought of.

Let's see what you can do.

3 comments:

DLcousin 1/27/2007 05:41:00 PM  

Not exactly sure what you're looking for, but here are a few for your consideration:

Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see.
...John W Whitehead

If wrinkles must be written upon our brows, let them not be written upon our hearts.
...James A Garfield

Your dimples you get from your parents; your wrinkles, from your children.

It is indeed a desirable thing to be well descended, but the glory belongs to the ancestors.
...Plutarch

There's no sense asking if the air is good if there's nothing else to breathe.
...Eleanore of Aquataine

Republicans are disciplined fanatics; Democrats are undisciplined neurotics.
...Tom Oliphant of the Boston
Globe

DLcousin 1/28/2007 04:51:00 PM  

Excellence is not an act, but a habit.
...Aristotle

Kurt Schroeder 1/29/2007 08:32:00 AM  

What Mom no ASCII Art ideas?