If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Friday, January 26, 2007

The Signature Contest

Every time I send an e-mail at work, I have a little signature line at the bottom. It reads:


Kurt Schroeder -- kschroe@us.ibm.com -- IBM Rochester Supportline Print
Voice: 507-286-6177 (T/L 456); FAX: 507-253-2982
"Elegance is not a dispensable luxury but a quality that decides between
success and failure." - Dijkstra

I change it every so often. I manipulate the formatting, or change the quote. A while back I used periods instead of dashes because I thought it looked more European. Over the years I have had LOTS of e-mail signatures. In college they were called "dot-sig" files because you could edit a files in your Unix account called .sig and it would be appended to all the e-mails you send out. Here is the .sig file I had in college when I was into ASCII Art:

************************************************
o__ o__ University of Minnesota--Duluth |._o
.>/ _.>/ _ kschroe3@ub.d.umn.edu | |>
) \(_))\(_) | 4
********************************************************
I have gone through a lot of quotations at IBM. I typically change it a couple times a year. Some of the more memorable ones have been:
  • Linux: Faster, Better, Cheaper. Pick Three.
  • There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary numbers, and those who do not.
  • "I lead the league in 'Go get em next time.'" -- Bob Uecker
  • "We didn't lose the game, we ran out of time." - Vince Lombardi
I am offering up my e-mail signature for you to modify. Send me your suggestions. This might not be as exciting as a banner design contest, but it is something that many people see each day, and perhaps you have a good idea I haven't thought of.

Let's see what you can do.

1 comments:

Kurt Schroeder 1/29/2007 08:32:00 AM  

What Mom no ASCII Art ideas?