If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Friday, December 21, 2007

Y Response on Y card issue...and my reply

The first response I got:

Hi Kurt,
Thanks for your email. I'll work on addressing your concerns and get back to you with a response.
For now though, I do know Sandra and she is a huge inspiration for me personally. I barely recognized her the other day. 80 lbs.!! That is so great!
Anyway, I'll be in touch.
Brenda


And later...

Hi Kurt,
So in thinking further about your concern, I do think that the Y needs the Forgot Card Policy and will continue to utilize it. It's a lot more challenging managing the check in system when people forget their cards when there's a line during the day and into the evening and we need to be consistent through the whole day.
I will continue to work with the staff on how to better articulate the policy.
I'd like to offer you a complimentary lanyard to attach to your gym bag or if you carry your keys in to the Y, we can cut out around the bar code and hole punch the card so you can carry it around as a key chain as long as we can scan the bar code. I will talk with John on giving this to you.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with me.
Happy Holidays!
Brenda

My response:

On the issue of the complimentary stuff, I really don't want to receive anything except for courtesy and professionalism. His behavior really turned me off.
Plus, isn't having John (who was rude to me) give me a lanyard for carrying my Y card a little like having my mom put idiot strings on my mittens?

How about taking a lanyard and tying it around John's finger to remind him to be courteous to people?

Thanks for your response, and your promise to work with the staff on policy articulation. But when you think about it, if you have a line of people during the day, mentioning the same policy over and over would only serve to embarrass people in front of others, and it wouldn't make the check-in faster. To see if it made it faster you would have to actually get some comparative data on if check-in speed increases if you stop giving warnings and just check people in. I am guessing that the difference it makes would be negligible, and would increase the satisfaction of people like me who have been turned off by it in the past.

But I will totally agree with you on one thing at least--- Sandy IS amazing.

- Kurt


UGH! Too harsh... Later I wrote back:

I would like to recall that message. It was pretty brusque and written off the cuff. I guess I get kinda punchy sometimes.

Thank you for saying that you would talk to John about his behavior. I agree that there must be SOME kind of policy in place. . .I just didn't like the way John talked to me.

And thank you for the kind offer of the lanyard, but I VERY RARELY forget my card and I have a little system that works for me 95% of the time.

I will be OK and will consider this issue resolved as long as Y staffers are more courteous to members who occasionally forget their badges.

Have a Merry Christmas, and please forgive me for that last e-mail. I can be a jerk sometimes, and I didn't mean to take it out on you with what I wrote. YOU have only been nice to my family, specially with the kids and Sandy. I remember you were the person who asked if you could take their pictures.


- Kurt

0 comments: