If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Your TV sucks



I got my Roku box for Netflix yesterday, and let me tell you, this thing is amazing. This is what it does for me:

  1. I decide what shows are available by going to Netflix and adding movies and TV shows to the my Instant queue. (Movies cannot be added from the box. Annoying for adults, but it assures that the kids won't be watching A Clockwork Orange when they wanted to watch Charlie Brown's Halloween Special.)
  2. Kids can use the remote control to pick and watch shows on demand. 24x7 unlimited viewing. The kids know how to use it already.
  3. No ads.
  4. Kids can pause at anytime to do chores and stuff. No more wigging out because they are "missing an important show."
  5. No ads.
  6. 62 episodes of Leave it to Beaver.
It came in a little box with a video cable and a power cord. I unplugged it and didn't need the instructions. It detected my wireless network, and gave me an authorization code. I went to Netflix and typed it in and then the box started working. That's it! Done. Caput. See ya.

The interface is very minimalistic and easy to navigate. My only complaint is that while initially loading a movie it doesn't let you jump out right away. Also, it would be cool if there was a channel like on a WII where you could see daily news or weather.

I would honestly say that for anyone who has a Netflix account, and has kids, that this could replace it all.

0 comments: