If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

My Computers

I just thought it would be cool to have a blog entry that describes what computers I have and what computers I want. So here goes. This is how I sit in the year 2005 for computing power:

SPARCstation SLC (4/20)

  • 20 MHz
  • Processor is Fujitsu MB86901A
  • 16 MB Memory MAX
  • Runs 12.5 MIPS, 1.2 MFLOPS
  • Slow enough not to need any fan.
  • CPU is built in to the back of a black and white monitor
  • I got it free from UMD Info Services in 1997. It didn't work because one of the RAM chips was bad. (Worked when I replaced it.)
  • Keyboard is awesome. Has a laser mouse which works when used on graph paper.
  • Completely unuseable except as a terminal. No hard drive.

Toshiba V3100 (2 of them)
  • Intel Pentium III 800 MHz
  • 64 MB (SDRAM)
  • 10 GB IDE Hard Drive
  • 48X CD-ROM
  • Came with Windows 98, now running Windows 2000.
  • Got it from PeoplePC in 1998. After I complained that they did not send the computer with the specified type of hard drive they sent me another PC free and I didn't need to send the first one back. So I have 2 identical PCs. The ideal gaming setup. I had 2 LAN parties and lost both times so never had another one.
  • I put a CD Burner in this machine.

IBM Thinkpad T41 - Work computer that I take home every night.
  • Intel Pentium M 1.5 Ghz
  • 512 MB Ram
  • 40 GB Harddrive
  • ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 Video Card (nice!)
  • Over 4 hour battery life (except when taxing the processor and video card.)
  • 14 inch TFT Active Matrix Screen
  • Wireless LAN
  • CD/DVD Reader and CD Burner
  • Height 2.7 cm
  • Windows XP
  • Runs Linux great, too.

The computer I want

This is the new Mac Mini. My plan would be to mount the Mac Mini in the wall between my kitchen and living room and hang an LCD monitor on the wall. The only things on the desk would be:
  • Wireless mouse
  • Wireless keyboard
  • Both of which could be put in the desk drawer when not in use.


1 comments:

Kilgannon 8/03/2005 07:23:00 AM  

Everyone should want a Mac mini. If they don't, they're all fools.