If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

No GTA; a call from Mike; a new fish

So last night I didn't play Grand Theft Auto, and it felt great to get away from it. I just watched some TV with Sandy. Actually I mostly read my current book, The Fools Progress by Edward Abbey. The book is a semi-autobiographical tale of a road trip, and the memories it brings back. The way it is written is very compelling, and it's very funny and quotable. Every other line is something you'd like to have said yourself.

  • When a man's best friend is his dog, that dog has a problem.
  • Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage.
  • What is the purpose of the giant sequoia tree? The purpose of the giant sequoia tree is to provide shade for the tiny titmouse.
  • Humility is a virtue when you have no other.
  • The sense of justice springs from self-respect; both are coeval with our birth. Children are born with an innate sense of justice; it usually takes twelve years of public schooling and four more years of college to beat it out of them.
  • How to Avoid Pleurisy: Never make love to a girl named Candy on the tailgate of a half-ton Ford pickup during a chill rain in April out on Grandview Point in San Juan County, Utah.
  • Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
I've been reading the book at night and offering to read some to Sandy but she doesn't seem interested, yet. I think Mike and my brother might like it, though.

After reading this for a bit, Sandy and I watched an episode of Lost that she had taped. That really is a good show. As soon as you think you have it figured out, it all changes. I only wish they wouldn't space out the new episodes so much, but each one is good, so I'm not complaining too much.

Mike called to say that he has his googlepages account and wanted to know how to get the blog stuff in there. I had no idea. I kinda prefer the blog format, myself. I did find out that kurtandsandy.com is now in redemption/expired status so I may be able to get it again. If I do this blog will move to kurtandsandy.com. Mike said that he wanted to do some kind of video contest with me, so I'll start working on some kind of script and then make another movie. Perhaps before I do I'll build a video stabilizer to get better action shots of the kids running.

Oh, and Annika got a new fish at Fish and Pets. It is a beta. We moved her fishtank to her night stand, but I think that the boys will mess with it. Only time will tell.

Back to work...

2 comments:

Ed 4/19/2006 03:30:00 PM  

The opening chapter where Henry takes out his refrigerator with the 357 has stuck with me since I read that book years ago. When I participated in bloggers write a novel a couple years ago, I had to include a similar scene in my blogger novelette.

Abbey has a lot of good books but my favorite will always be Desert Solitaire.

Kurt Schroeder 4/24/2006 03:49:00 PM  

The name of the new fish is Daisy. She is a red beta and she is a very good eater. While Charlie was always very cautious and did not like to swim very fast and preferred that his food be given furthest from the water filter, Daisy will swim anywhere in the tank to get her food. She is a great little fish.