If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore. This may change at any time. But PLEASE feel free to look through our Flickr stream (over on the right), which is updated almost every day.

Friday, May 26, 2006

Finished painting the bathroom last night

I was up until 2 am. I painted from 8-10, carefully going back over some areas in which the previous coat of oil-based primer and the used roller seemed to be affecting the sheen on my latest top coat. While I waited for it to dry, I cleaned up my brushes and painted a board in the garage for me to test the tub caulk on tonight. More on that later.

The paint job came out great. Probably the best looking room I have ever painted. I carefully removed the masking/painter's tape, using a box cutter to break the paint surface to avoid tearing. No paint was left on the trim. First time for that. I went in to the bedroom, got the mirror from behind the bed and lifted it up. Sandy woke up to see a glass guillotine hanging over her head for a split second. Real nice. Installing the mirror took about 20 minutes, because I had to reinstall some of the mounting brackets. Looks great. Reinstalled the new light fixture.

Tonight I will caulk the edges where the shower surround meets the rest of the room. I was a little worried to do it until I read a top that showed how to do it cleanly. You mask off either side of the edge with painters tape, caulk, and the remove the tape. Here is what I mean:

The painters tape is placed on either side of the corner. Then you run a bead of caulk down the middle, smooth it out with your inger, and then removethe tape. If you wait too long to remove the tape, the caulk can "skim" over and adhere to the tape. I will test this out on some painted boards before actually doing it.

So tonight I'll caulk, help Sandy clean the house, and hang the pictures. We decided to take out time and buy new hardware (towel rods, and misc hooks) as we can afford them. We plan to get brushed nickel accessories from Kohler.


Kurt Schroeder 5/30/2006 09:51:00 AM  

The caulking went perfectly. No problems. It looks great. I decided to redo the caulk in the kids bathroom, too, as it looks awful compared to the new caulk upstairs.