If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Cobblestones and a small wooden table

A long time ago I had a dream, which is a recurring dream. This is how it goes.

It is dark.
I am walking home on a cobblestone street.
I enter my home, turn on a few dim lights, and quietly drop my keys onto a small wooden table.
Then I walk upstairs.
That's it. The first time I had that dream I knew what it meant. It meant that I wanted a job where I had to travel. In the dream there was no wife. There were no kids.

Today I think I know what the dream means for me. I have submitted an application to join a project at IBM where I would be a facilitator for a group of new IBMers. The trip would require lots of preparation before hand, and a few trips around the country to facilitate new hire training for IBM. If I don't land the project, I won't be sad. I now know what I want to do for my professional career. It does not involve taking print calls, but it does involve staying current with technology, helping people, and taking a leadership role in the development of other people. It will involve speaking to large and small groups of people. It will probably involve some travel.

It feels good to have a goal.

2 comments:

Michael and Anne 9/01/2006 03:20:00 PM  

Sounds like your dream is about committing a crime. The cobblestone road is the uneasy path you traveled and the keys are a representative of the evidence you discarded. You think in your dream that you won't be caught because you made it home and this was the ultimate goal. You are sick man...and I will be watching you.

Karen 9/01/2006 05:28:00 PM  

Your travels might bring you to a large lake, perhaps less grand than Superior but fabulous nonetheless.

(I'm over here today.)