If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Criky!

I suppose I better throw down a Steve Irwin post. . .

No one really knows what killed him, but I am sure that a combination of the coronor's report and the video will tell the story. But he died doing what he loved. Probably it will be hardest on his daughter, because he was filming footage for her show.

I realize that what I am about to write may offend people who have had loved ones die, but please know that this not my intent.

Steve Irwin's death got me thinking that about how I will die when I am older. I don't want to go out as an old man just waiting for death, unable to do anything. This is especially the case if I am diagnosed with some dreaded disease that there is no hope of a cure for. Irwin died pulling that stinger OUT because he wanted to live. So I believe in fighting for your life. But in cases where I was an old man and I knew I was faced with my own demise, I have thought of other ways to exit the planet:

  • A few times I have told Sandy that when I get old, I would like to go to Africa, don a pair of Reebok Newport running shows and one of those slinky pair of running shorts with the British flag on them, and run at packs of lions.
  • I have experienced drowning personally. At age 10 I was revived after spending over 3 minutes under water. That is, while initially frightening, a fairly calm and painless way to go. Like Edna in Chopin's The Awakening I could probably do that again. Just keep swimming.
When all is said and done, I will probably die a cowardly death. Some day at 11:34, I will simply expire. I will have spent the last few years of my life trying to extend the time I was given, but in the end, I will fail. We all will. As Bly says, Death will come.

Goodbye Steve.

0 comments: