If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Hacking DropShots

One of the wonderful things about these blogs is the ability to add lots of little functions without too much technical talent. One example of this DropShots, which is designed to convert your home movies and video clips into an Internet friendly format. The only problem is that you can only host a limited number of movies on their site before it stops working. This post will attempt to describe how to use DropShots to convert video clips that you can host yourself.

Step 1: Sign up for an account.
Step 2: Convert your videos.
Step 3: Save the videos from the DropShots website to your own.
Step 4: Edit the HTML code to point to the video file on your server instead of the one on their server.
Step 5: Test, then delete the file from their server.
Step 6: Lather, rinse, repeat from step 2.

4 comments:

Unknown 11/17/2006 08:19:00 PM  

makes you seem kinda like a cheap skate. Dropshots allows you to upload unlimited number of videos for measly $4.95 a month. you could end up with several hard drives worth of video that they are hosting and streaming for you for 16 cents a day.

Kurt Schroeder 11/17/2006 09:54:00 PM  

Okay. I don't see the problem John. In exchange for showing a little ad for them on my blog, in the form of their Flash appelet, I use about 30 seconds of their server's processing time to convert my video to FLV format. And I pay nothing for my hosting, as I do it myself. $60 bucks a year is a waste of my money. Bug off.

Ray 11/17/2006 10:24:00 PM  

Plus there are lots of open source tools to convert your movies over to flv. The pay service is for something else and that's to help you build a community within Dropshots.

Bonnie B 11/19/2006 10:41:00 PM  

Some day when I am technically savie, I will try this