If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Last Night's Movie - Being There

Last night I watched the movie Being There with Peter Sellers. The story is of a dim-witted gardener who grows up in house he has never been allowed to leave. Mistaken for an intellectual, he rises to fame, and is never discovered for what he truly is. A bit of the dialogue:

Ron Steigler: Mr. Gardner, uh, my editors and I have been wondering if you would consider writing a book for us, something about your um, political philosophy, what do you say?
Chance the Gardener: I can't write.
Ron Steigler:
Heh, heh, of course not, who can nowadays? Listen, I have trouble writing a postcard to my children. Look uhh, we can give you a six figure advance, I'll provide you with the very best ghostwriter, proof-readers...
Chance the Gardener:
I can't read.
Ron Steigler:
Of course you can't. No one has the time! We, we glance at things, we watch television...
Chance the Gardener:
I like to watch TV.
Ron Steigler:
Oh, oh, oh sure you do. No one reads!

If you haven't seen it, get it. Here's a clip.

0 comments: