If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Friday, August 08, 2008

I want to reroof the house myself. . .

but I am sure you can see by the annotated screen captures from this Avoiding Roofing Disasters video I got from the roofing contractor how truly unprepared I am to do a quality job. . .

Begin sarcastic video...





The original video is online at the GAF-ELK website. Unlike their prices.
http://www.gaf.com/Training/ROOFING-VIDEOS/avoiding-rofing-disasters.html

USEFUL GAF-ELK install videos are here:
http://www.gaf.com/Training/default.asp?WS=GAF&Silo=RES1&App=TRAI&Uid=

Basically, the video tells you over and over that you need a contractor and the website, while weak on pricing, shows how the ridge vent system works (you cut a hole along the ridge of your roof and cover it with a filtered plastic cover and then install special ridge cap shingles on top of it. This makes for a better ventilated attic.) and how to do everything yourself.

And ironically, a video I checked out from the library had an ex-associate (Dean Johnson) of the lady in the video (Robin Hartl) expousing the fact that anyone can re-shingle their own home.

4 comments:

Michael and Anne 8/08/2008 09:31:00 AM  

Get a bid or two from a qualified guy and have them itemize there supplies. Take that and buy the stuff and get the permit. My old roof was bid out at $4400. I think my supplies came to $1200 with beer. At that cost, you could get it wrong twice. It really is actually easy and that video is a scare tactic.

Michael and Anne 8/08/2008 09:33:00 AM  

And it took me 2 days from start to finish.

Kurt Schroeder 8/08/2008 12:07:00 PM  

Yeah I was being sarcastic. The guy who gave us the video told us that it explained the system but 90% was scare tactics about mold and the words "GAF Eliter MasterElite Certified Roofing Contractor" repeated over and over...

It's a frickin roof. Once you got the shingles off, underlying roof prepared properly, and the shingles on straight, have snapped your chalk lines and measured properly, all you need to worry about is falling off. And thats where you install roof jacks and where I thank the Lord that my roof has a low slope.

Kurt Schroeder 8/08/2008 12:08:00 PM  

Actually, for that price, you could get it wrong three times and still have money for more beer to drown your sorrows in breaking even.