If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore. This may change at any time. But PLEASE feel free to look through our Flickr stream (over on the right), which is updated almost every day.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Bathroom Remodel - So much for pine carsiding

Well damn. I took the rest of the drop ceiling panels off the ceiling and guess what I found-- more ductwork than I had planned for, which makes my plan for wood ceiling a little to hard to do.


Not impossible.

But to do it I would have to install 2x3 or 2x4 boards around the tops of the walls and attach some sort of reinforced/hung plywood to it and install the wood against that. Because my plan of extending the joists is just not going to happen.

Which is not all bad:

  • Would have been tricky to raise the walls because the wall boards/lumber does not extend to the ceiling on the one side of the room.
  • A drop ceiling in the bathroom is not the end of the world.
  • Cheaper not to do it.
  • New white drop ceiling tiles might look just as nice with the great color paint Sandy picked out.
  • Will not have to adapt vent covers to fit a curved ceiling.
  • Easy to make changes in the future or do it later.
  • We only have a few days to get it done.
So what remains to do:
  • Remove caulking around tub (again) we did it last year but I ran out and had to put on some crappy stuff that kinda dried out anyway.
  • Replace some damaged/slightly rotted drywall sections.
  • Replace a flourescent fixture with a new light fixture over the vanity.
  • Install a new quieter and more powerful blower/vent.
  • Install a new light fixture over the tub. (Should be easy as there is a plug in for it so I won't have to wire it. (I hope. Anything could happen but I can do electrical work.)
  • Prime with oil based tinted primer. (Good for coverage over a place where wall paper used to be I was told. We did this upstairs and it was great.)
  • Paint with latex.
  • Install new white rubber wallboards.
  • Maybe replace the vanity if we can find one that fits and is inexpensive.
And try to have it all done by....this Wednesday!

0 comments: