If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Friday, June 05, 2009

Twitter

I don't understand Twitter.


I don't understand how an entire group of people can go from not bring able to make their own simple web page to constantly sending out announcements to people they do not know to inform them of every picayune detail of their lives.

How is this rational? What is the point of this?

I can see how people might want to be alerted by NOAA about severe weather or be advised of missing children in their area, or be notified of ... whatever they care most about. But seriously people, when everyone in a crowd carries a bullhorn, that crowd becomes a screaming mob.

Who wants to actually participate in that?

2 comments:

ellen 6/05/2009 02:58:00 PM  

I am so with you on this. It takes a real egomaniac to think that anyone would care if he had just walked his dog, cleaned his garage, or brushed his teeth. Have peoples' lives become so mundane that simple daily routine activities are considered newsworthy? Egad!

Heather 6/06/2009 06:24:00 PM  

It's really no different than a blog, except that Twitter allows people to converse in real time. Sort of like a giant chat room.

Perhaps I am an egomaniac, but I can't say I've forced anyone to "follow" me on Twitter. And apparently 674 people do want to hear about what I'm doing.

Also I've met several people that live here in Rochester that I never would have otherwise.

Just my two cents. Not that you care!