If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Friday, July 24, 2009

Fixing a Pioneer LaserDisc Player

My friend Dan lent me a LaserDisc player which I am returning him this weekend. When discs are ejected, the machine sometimes makes a noisy grinding sound which is made by two gears failing to mesh properly. In this video I show the problem and the method of fixing it which involves simply pushing down on a portion of the player to make the gears mesh.

The resolution that I suggest in the video is to perhaps have a piece of metal bar that can be inserted into the player and used as a lever to press the failing parts together, but what may actually work better is to simply replace a spring which holds the gear down with a slightly shorter spring.

I am not very mechanically inclined, however, and will not attempt to try this fix before returning it. Especially as the player works fine once the noise has stopped and the gears finally mesh.

Also, there does not appear to be any wear that is caused by the missing of the gears, just the annoying sound itself.



This issue is also discussed here.

2 comments:

Kurt Schroeder 7/25/2009 12:30:00 AM  

My hair is terrible.

Michael and Anne 7/25/2009 03:17:00 AM  

Or you could just buy a DVD player. I have an 8 track player I am trying to bring back to life. I just need a paperclip, a bungie cord and two match sticks to play it.