If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

On Second Thought. . .

In my last post I detailed plans to take the kids canoeing down the Zumbro. Tonight I took them out on a trial run and let me say this regarding my prior plans: SCREW THAT NOISE.



The river is less than 2 inches deep in some parts, and about 10% of the trip was spent ankle deep in sand and muck pushing three kids up and down river in the canoe.

That is not to say it was not fun.




We saw bald eagles, a hot air balloon, some herons, fish, toads, and crayfish. The kids dutifully took turns paddling and I did not chastise them harshly when they took extra time to hold the paddle correctly. (I tend to have a bit of a short temper, which is one thing I truly dislike about myself. I am blessed to have a wife and children who are very patient with me.)I was most impressed with the fact that there was no goofing around. No slapping the water or splashing.



I left the canoe outside tonight nd I think I will taken them down the upper portion of the Zumbro tomorrow. I know it is deeper and Sandy could pretty easily meet us with the car downstream. If we do I will post pictures of what Rochester looks like from the water.

2 comments:

ellen 8/13/2009 12:55:00 PM  

LOVE the photos. In the one of the 3 kids, it looks as a moose could come out of the background at any time! Also enjoyed the first one and the clever way Annika baited Jack to return to "help" her. What a good use of the canoe; I was about to suggest we sell it, but this is good practice for them.

ellen 8/15/2009 05:21:00 AM  

When you enlarge the photo of the kids in the canoe it looks as if there's a frog in the water slightly behind Alex.