If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

King Kong temporarily ruined my brain

Last night my friend Russ Dickson and I went to King Kong. It was a great movie. Truly excellent. Anytime you are watching a giant ape battle three T-Rex's and you believe it is actually happening, that's a good movie.

Afterward we headed out to our cars, said goodnight and Merry Christmas, and drove our separate ways. Well, Russ did. I couldn't get into my car. My key wouldn't turn. The passenger door was locked up, too. I went inside the theatre to see if they had lock de-icer and they didn't. So I walked in the freezing cold to a gas station and bought de-icer. Then I walked back, tried the de-icer, and EASILY turned the key. Then I got in the car and tried to start it, the key wouldn't turn. So I de-iced the ignition. Key still didn't work.

That's when I realized that I had been alternately using my mother's car keys and my own.

I blame the ape.

4 comments:

Michael and Anne 12/22/2005 11:43:00 AM  

King Kong Racist?

Any movie that features white people sailing off to the Third World to capture a giant ape and carry it back to the West for exploitation is going to be seen as a metaphor for colonialism and racism.

There is an implication that Kong stands for the black man brought in chains from a dark island and with a penchant for skinny white blondes. Indeed, a GOOGLE search using the words "King Kong racism" yielded 490,000 hits.

This is from an article I read anyways. I would see it but I refuse to put money in the "Mans" pocket.

Kurt Schroeder 12/22/2005 01:12:00 PM  

The MAN also sold me some popcorn and Cherry Coke. Umm...tasty. Plus, a GOOGLE search for "King Kong racism" yields only 183 hits. A search for "King Kong not racist" yields over a million hits so that must be true. A search for "indigenous hotties" yields only 32... I guess that is proof right there that indigenous hotties are underrepresented on the web. It's a shame.

Michael and Anne 12/23/2005 01:20:00 AM  

"King Kong Racism" now returns 793,000 hits on a google search. Thank you.

P.S. Punching in the words "Kurt likes little boys" yields 552,000 hits. Hmmm.

Kurt Schroeder 12/29/2005 08:01:00 AM  

Actually, I just tried a few Google searches and I find that something is pretty messed up with Google. Searching for "____ likes little _____" will turn up one number of hits, while "____ likes _____" will turn up a smaller number of hits. That seems counter-intuitive. As you add keywords the number of hits should go down. I'll contact a friend of mine who works at Google and find out why.