If you see fewer posts. . .

it's because I don't post much anymore.

Monday, June 04, 2007

Loading the Canoe

Lately my brother Erik and I have been discussing exchanging the family canoe and how best to transport it. For each of us to get a rack system to carry it around would be ~ $300, and we don't have the same car so we would not be able to use the same system. Well maybe SOME parts would be interchangeable, but that's too much crapping around for the Schroeder boys.

Last year, I took Annika on a canoe ride up and down a small stretch of the Zumbro. It was great, but I scratched my roof in the process. I want to come up with a system that will allow me to put the canoe (which is heavy)on the top of the car quickly and w/out scratching.

Searching the Internet for tips I have found just one suggestion, which mirrored one part of my own idea, which is the use of carpeting as a scratch preventative:



from http://www.angelfire.com/wi2/quiKnot/tips.html

Loading a canoe by yourself

If you have to place a canoe on top of your car or van by yourself, here is a simple tip to save the finish from scratching.
  1. Measure the widest part of the canoe.
  2. Cut a piece of plastic pipe at least 6" longer then your measurement. Use at least 1 1/2" plastic pipe.
  3. Wrap carpet around the pipe. (It can be taped on)
  4. Next time you have to put the canoe on the car. Move the canoe near the car.
  5. Put one end on top of the car.
  6. Place the carpeted pipe on top of the car where the canoe and car top meet.
  7. Simply raise the back end of the canoe and push the canoe forward.
  8. The carpeted pipe will roll across the car top and you will have your canoe safely on top.



Other tips will come later...

2 comments:

Kurt Schroeder 6/10/2007 03:30:00 AM  

Carpeting worked great.

Kurt Schroeder 6/15/2007 10:11:00 PM  

Correction - carpeting laid across the top of the car worked great, not rolled on a tube.